INSIGHTS THIS MONTH
HIGHLIGHT OF THIS MONTH
Share Transfers in Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam: Capital Gains Tax Perils, Registration Pitfalls, and Offshore Indirect Transfers
Highlights of this note Some pitfalls in registering an offshore sale of shares in a Cambodian company Frequent disputes on the 0.1% stamp duty for share transfers in Cambodia...
IN THIS ISSUE
Special Permit to Travel in and out of Vientiane Capital during the Lockdown Phase
[From our Laos Office]
On 10 May 2021, the Division of Health of Vientiane Capital (“DH.VTE”) issued Notice No. 378/DH (the “Notice”) requiring that those wishing to travel...
All Employers Need To Re-Register With The Labor Authority In Cambodia
[From our Cambodia Office]
On 31 December 2020, the Cambodian Ministry of Labor and Vocational Training (“MLVT”) announced the launch of its automated online portal for labor-related services...
Cash Withdrawal Ceiling for Microfinance Institutions
[From our Banking and Finance Team - Myanmar Office]
The Financial Regulatory Department (“FRD”) issued a letter on 19 May 2021 which requires licensed microfinance institutions (“MFIs”) to provide one-time information to the...
VDB Loi Litigation Team Bags Historic Win: First Myanmar Court Enforcement of Foreign Verdict in Major Arbitration Case
[From our Dispute Team - Myanmar Office]
Recently a district court in Myanmar has granted an execution order to approve enforcement of a foreign court judgment against defendants in Myanmar. The...
Myanmar Issues New Solar Tender for 240-480 MW
[From our Energy and Infrastructure Team - Myanmar Office]
On 24 May 2021, the Electric Power Generation Enterprise (“EPGE”) under the Ministry of Electricity and Energy of Myanmar (“MOEE”) launched its second solar...
Draft Circular on DPPA for Renewable Energy Project to Collect Public Opinions
[From our Vietnam Office]
The Ministry of Industry and Trade of Vietnam (MOIT) HAS recently released THE second draft circular regarding the implementation of the pilot program for...
OUR UPCOMING EVENTS
Hot Tax Dispute Issues – And How to Solve Them
11 June 2021, Online Webinar Event
RECENT VDB LOI WORK
Natural gas expertise: VDB Loi’s Energy team has been engaged by a leading Asian research institute to advise on the regulatory and policy framework for natural gas pipeline projects in Myanmar.
DTA relief and expatriates: VDB Loi has been engaged by a regional oilfield services company to advise on the personal income tax implications for its expatriates deployed to Myanmar, including possible DTA relief.
Tax advisory on solar power project: Our team is advising a contractor on one of the largest solar power projects in Myanmar on the tax implications of its new contract.
Tax compliance for oil & gas: The Tax team is handling all tax compliance for a company providing LNG regasification services in Myanmar.
Liquidation services: The Regulatory team is handling the regulatory and tax aspects of the liquidation of a multinational analytics company
Acquisition of power plant: Our Cambodian team is presently working hard on the proposed purchase of 100% of an operating power plant.
Winding up of multinational group’s companies in the region: Following a strategic decision, the local subsidiaries in Cambodia and Myanmar of a multinational company in the services industry will be dismantled. VDB Loi’s teams in these countries assist with corporate, tax and employment issues.
Tax structuring advice: Our Vietnam team is assisting a multinational company with regulatory and tax structuring advice for an animal feed manufacturing plant set up in Vietnam in terms of tax efficiency and cash repatriation purposes
Licensing for a mobile gaming project: Our Vietnam teams assist a US based mobile gaming developer to incorporate a subsidiary in Vietnam. We do corporate advice, licensing, tax compliance issues.
- Myanmar: Major Changes in the Union Tax Law 2023 (VDB Loi Insights)
- Clean Energy Transition is Additional Drive for Regional Power Trades in South and South East Asia (VDB Loi Insights)
- Maximizing Benefits from Investment Incentives (VDB Loi Insights)
- Is Land Acquisition the Real Reason Behind the Unbearable Delay of Solar Projects? (VDB Loi Insights)
- VDB Loi Hosts Major Seminar on Renewable Energy in Cambodia (VDB Loi Insights)
- New Opportunities for Renewable Energy and Grid Reinforcement in Cambodia (VDB Loi Insights)
- Foreign Construction Contractor in Vietnam: Local Compliance Framework (VDB Loi Insights)
- Setting Up Or Acquiring Manufacturing Business In Vietnam
- Pathway to an Independent Power Project in Vietnam
- Foreign loans for Vietnamese borrowers – Q&A
- Green Finance in Southeast Asia
- How Does Bangladesh’s Blockchain Strategy Look Like?
- VDB Loi Cambodia Wins IFLR Asia-Pacific National Law Firm of the Year Award
- Will Income From Cryptocurrency Be Taxed In Vietnam? (VDB Loi Insights)
- The New Laws on Investment and Public-private Partnership: Setting the Foundation for Advanced Private Investment Landscape in Cambodia
- Bangladesh Project Finance Update: Some New Developments and Practices on the Local Aspects of Cross-border Financing in Bangladesh
- Update on Investment Licensing in Bangladesh: New BIDA Practices
- Intra Group Services – Are Cambodian Taxpayers Waving a Red Flag to the GDT? Part One
- VDB Loi Cambodia Awarded Cambodia Tax Firm of the Year
- New Regulation in Cambodia on Road Transportation Services Provided With the Use of Digital Technologies
- Tax Amnesty on Undisclosed Income at Reduced Tax Rates
- M&A Hot Issues
- Phnom Penh Lockdown: Who Remains Open? Which Authorities Still Work?
- Annual Audit of Personal Income Tax in the Lao People’s Democratic Republic (VDB Loi Insights)
- New Tax Rules in Laos, Solar Bids in Cambodia, Expat Labor Rules Myanmar
- What Is Different About Cambodia’s New Solar Project Tender? (VDB Loi Insights)
- Laos: Key Changes to Secured Transactions
- New Rules Issued for Unsolicited Projects in Myanmar
- VDB Loi Celebrates Outstanding Asialaw Rankings (VDB Loi Insights
- VDB Loi Crowned Tax Firm Of The Year For Third Time At The 2020 ITR Tax Awards
- Challenging Times Ahead? What Lenders and Other Creditors Need to Know About Myanmar’s New Insolvency System
- Loan Transactions In Southeast Asia: Getting Through The Challenging Times
- How To Win at Myanmar’s Solar Tender, Part of COVID-19 Stimulus Package?
- Do Employees Have the Right to Work Remotely? Questions on Labor Law Facing the Corona Virus Outbreak
- Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos Facing the Pandemic Challenge
- Project Bank (finally) published
- Myanmar Approved FDI for 2019 in Power Sector: All Projects Selected VDB Loi as Advisor
- The Impact of the 2019 Construction Law on Property Development in Cambodia
- Can you sue a dissolved company? (VDB Loi Insights)
- Myanmar Arbitration Update
- Myanmar Passes New Law for Land Acquisition, Resettlement and Rehabilitation
- How to Create a Tidal Wave of Foreign Investment in Electricity and Infrastructure? By These 5 Steps. (VDB Loi Insights)
- Power Surge at MOEE
- Myanmar About to Launch Power Barge Tender
- VDB Loi Insights
- VDB Loi Wins Law Firm of the Year