VAT Guideline on Business Asset DisposalsJune 16, 2020
On 5 May 2020, the General Department of Taxation (“GDT”) issued a guideline on the value added tax (“VAT”) treatment of business asset disposals. The guideline specifies the following three points with regard to VAT on business asset disposals:
- Where the input VAT on a business asset was allowed as a tax credit, the subsequent disposal of that asset is a taxable supply at the fair market value.
- Disposal of a business asset is a non-taxable supply if the asset:
- Has associated input VAT that was not allowed as a tax credit and instead was added to the cost of the asset;
- Is a non-taxable supply;
- Is subject to state-charged VAT;
- Is subject to 0% VAT; or
- Has been entirely depreciated (i.e. accumulated depreciation equals the cost of the asset).
- Capital gains arising from the sale (i.e. the difference between the selling price in the market and the undepreciated amount of the asset) are considered as other income, which is subject to Tax on Income, regardless of whether or not the disposal is subject to VAT.
The guideline provides clear answers to many of the questions taxpayers have been asking. However, there is still one remaining issue, which is how to determine the fair market value when taxpayers just dispose of or donate assets instead of selling them.
There has been no further clarification from the GDT on this matter as yet. We will keep you posted if we receive any updates from the GDT.
If you have any questions on this alert, please contact the undersigned or your usual VDB Loi adviser.
- Notification No. 5735 GDT dated 16 February 2023 issued by the General Department of Taxation on “Annual Tax on Income Filing for 2022”
- February 27, 2023
- Notification No. 5367 GDT dated 14 February 2023 issued by the General Department of Taxation on “2022 Market Interest Rates for Loans”
- February 20, 2023
- Instruction No. 26118 GDT dated 28 October 2022 issued by the General Department of Taxation on “The Use of Exchange Rates for Self-Assessment Taxpayers”
- November 30, 2022
- Instruction No. 27185 GDT dated 14 November 2022 issued by the General Department of Taxation on “The hanging or displaying of the tax registration documents at the business premises”
- November 30, 2022
- Pension fund
- October 24, 2022