Cambodian Legal Update: Labor Law – Foreign Worker Work Permit InspectionsFebruary 23, 2018
As part of ongoing efforts to strictly enforce work permit requirements, following a notice from the Office of the Council of Ministers, the Ministry of Interior (“MOI”) and the Ministry of Labor and Vocational Training (“MLVT”) issued a joint Prakas (No. 719 Br.K) dated 19 February 2018 (“Joint Prakas 719”) on the enforcement of foreign workforce inspections.
According to Joint Prakas 719, a joint inspection team from the MOI and the MLVT may conduct inspections, with or without notice, in relation to the work permits of foreign workers. In addition, as part of the inspection, the team may issue a written instruction to employers giving them one month to obtain the proper work permits.
The original documents that are subject to inspection include, among others:
- Declaration of employees
- Declaration of staff movement in and out
- Quota approval to employ foreign workers
- Each foreigner’s employment contract in Khmer, as approved by the MLVT
- Each foreigner’s passport (both original and copies)
- Each foreigner’s entry visa and the latest visa extension authorizing employment
- Each foreigner’s work permit and employment card
All employers employing foreigners without proper work permits may be subject to a fine and punishment according to the Labor Law and the Law on Immigration, which includes possible expulsion of the foreign employee from the country.
To avoid penalty risk or more serious punishment, we urge all employers to obtain work permits for all of their foreign workers.
If you have any questions, or would like us to assist with this process, please contact me ([email protected]) or Mr. Alex Larkin ([email protected]).
VDB Loi is a network of leading law and tax advisory firms with offices in Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam. We provide the highest quality solutions for transactions and taxation. Our general areas of practice are corporate, finance, licensing and disputes. Our principal specialized areas of practice are energy, infrastructure, real estate and construction, telecom, and taxation.
You can find more information on our Cambodia office here.
- Do Cambodia Transfer Pricing Regulations Provide That Third Party Companies in a Benchmarking Study May Not Have +20% Shareholders?
- May 19, 2023
- Streamlined Process for Business Mergers Introduced in Cambodia’s New Sub-decree
- May 3, 2023
- Clean Energy Transition is Additional Drive for Regional Power Trades in South and South East Asia
- March 30, 2023
- Regulatory Update on the Implementation of the Competition Law
- March 2, 2023
- New Rules Guiding Real Estate Service Businesses Issued
- February 2, 2023