2019 Myanmar Insurance Market Liberalization for Foreign Investments: First Preferred Applicants AnnouncedApril 5, 2019
The Ministry of Planning and Finance of Myanmar has just announced the preferred applicants for the licenses of life insurance business in Myanmar to be operated by 100% wholly-owned subsidiaries of foreign insurers.
The list of selected applicants included:
- AlA Company Limited
- Chubb Tempest Reinsurance Limited
- Dai-ichi Life Insurance Company, Limited
- Manufacturers Life Insurance Company
- Prudential Hong Kong Limited
VDB-Loi advised one of the selected applicants in connection with the application process.
The announcement represents one of the stages of the insurance market liberalization. This process to select foreign investors was officially launched in January 2019.
The selected applicants would now be required to comply with the pre-licensing conditions, some of which were set out in the Requests for Proposal circulated earlier this year by the MoPF. The indicative conditions included, among other things, formation and registration of the subsidiary in Myanmar, approval of auditors and making of the capital contributions.
Joint Venture Route
Those applicants who have not been selected but would like to proceed with the other route of entering Myanmar insurance market (through a joint venture with a local insurer), would need to arrange for the submission of completed expressions of interest over the course of the next four weeks.
- Foreign companies are added to the exemption list of mandatory forex conversion
- February 28, 2023
- All Border Trade Transactions Will Be Allowed Only via Banking System Starting From 1st November 2022
- November 4, 2022
- Myanmar: FATF’s Call for Action to Apply Enhanced Due Diligence Measures
- October 27, 2022
- Logistics Service Companies Are Now Allowed to Hold Specific Amounts of Foreign Currency
- June 27, 2022
- Domestic Payments to Be Made in Myanmar Kyat
- June 7, 2022