Alex is a US attorney who has worked in Cambodia for the past seven years. He has over 13 years of experience in corporate and commercial law and transactions, litigation and arbitration, as well as intellectual property law, and labor law. He has been advising clients in Southeast Asia for over eight years, focusing on corporate transactions, advising foreign investors on joint venture structuring, mergers & acquisitions, as well as regulatory matters. Alex has advised clients on medium and large-scale acquisitions of Cambodian companies in food and beverage manufacturing, electricity distribution and hospitality.
Alex, a successful commercial litigator, is well-versed in commercial dispute resolution and has advised clients in arbitration proceedings in the US and Singapore. He is also active with the National Commercial Arbitration Centre of Cambodia, having participated in the working group responsible for drafting the arbitration rules for the institution. He is a part-time lecturer for a Master’s of Law program at the Royal University of Law and Economics, and an active member in good standing of the Washington State Bar Association.
His knowledge of the local legal environment and strong expertise in foreign direct investment, market entries, and merger & acquisition transactions brings unique value to VDB Loi’s clients.
PROFESSIONAL EMPLOYMENT HISTORY
- Senior Adviser – VDB Loi, Cambodia (Jan 2018 to Present)
- Senior Legal Adviser & Head of Dispute Resolution, Corporate & Commercial Practice – DFDL, Cambodia (Sep 2011 to Dec 2017)
- Senior Associate Attorney – Leadco Legal Counsel, Vietnam (Jun 2010 – Aug 2011)
- Senior Associate Attorney – Law Office of Mark Douglas Kimball, PS, Washington State, USA (May 2006 – May 2010)
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- M&A, corporate and commercial law, litigation and arbitration, intellectual property and labor law
QUALIFICATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Washington State Bar Association
- Licensed Washington State Professional Engineer
- 2005 – Juris Doctor, Seattle University School of Law, Cum Laude, Washington State, USA
- 1995 – B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Washington, USA