VDB Loi helps promote sustainable development in IFC and private sector Hydropower Developer Working GroupSeptember 5, 2016
IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, and the private sector in Myanmar launched the first working group for Myanmar’s hydropower sector. The Hydropower Developers’ Working Group (HDWG), first established in Lao PDR in late-2013, is the only platform exclusively for hydropower companies and industry-related professionals to influence policy and identify solutions to improve upon sustainability and business operations in Myanmar.
On 18 August 2016, over 100 stakeholders from Myanmar’s hydropower sector including companies, civil society organizations, financial institutions and government officials attended the working group’s first General Forum in Yangon.
The interim executive committee presented the working group’s agenda focusing on strengthening private sector relations with the government and highlighting the best practices and policies needed to develop projects sustainably.
The executive committee comprises:
- President: U Aung Zaw Naing (“Harry”), CEO of Shwe Taung Development Co., Ltd. and President of the HDWG
- Sunil Seth, Country Head, TATA
- Ken Tun, CEO, Parami Energy
- David O’Neill , Vice President, International Business Development, ENGIE
- Edwin Vanderbruggen, Senior Partner, VDB Loi
- Kate Lazarus, Senior Operations Officer, IFC